Last updated: May 20, 2021
Piñata Global, Inc. (“Piñata,” “we,” or “us”) respects your privacy. We are committed to protecting the privacy of our users and we want to provide a safe and secure user experience. We will use our best efforts to ensure that the information You submit to us remains private and is used only for the purposes set forth herein. This policy details how data about You is collected, used, and shared when You access our websites and services or interact with us (collectively, the “Piñata Services”).
2. Information Collected
When You use the Piñata Services, You may be asked for certain personal information for You and, in the case of tenants, for individuals residing with You. This requested personal information may include names, email addresses, zip codes, phone numbers, credit card information, financial credit information, occupation, and employment history.
In addition, the Piñata websites also automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, browser type and Piñata Cookie (defined below) information. Before permitting You to use Piñata’s Services, we may require additional information from You that we can use to verify your identity, address, or other information, or to manage risk and compliance throughout our relationship. We may also obtain information from third-party services about You, such as identity verification, background checks, fraud prevention, credit checks, and similar services. Piñata collects data to operate effectively and provide better quality experiences. If You do not agree to our collection of the information, You may be limited or restricted in the Piñata Services available to You.
3. How Piñata Uses Personal Information
Piñata uses personal information it collects to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Piñata Services;
- Personalize the content we provide You;
- Provide customer service;
- Inform You of updates to the Piñata Services, security alerts, and other support and administrative messages;
- Communicate with You about products, services, offers, promotions, and events, and provide other news and information we think will be of interest to You (for information about how to opt out of these communications, see “Choices” below); and
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with the Piñata Services.
4. Website Visitors
We gather information about all registered and unregistered users collectively, such as which services users access the most. We only use such data anonymously. This information helps us determine what is the most beneficial for our users and how we can create a better overall user experience. We may share anonymized information with our partners so that they may also understand how users and visitors use the Piñata Services. We may use data stitching to aggregate combine datasets with datasets from multiple sources, to better track use of our services.
5. Information from Minors
We do not knowingly solicit, collect, or share information from any individuals under the age of 18.
7. Do Not Track
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is an optional browser setting that allows You to express your preferences regarding tracking by advertisers and other third parties. We do/do not respond to DNT signals.
8. Sharing Information
When You use the Piñata Services, certain information about You and your use of the services may be shared with other users, third parties and the public. For example:
- When You submit a post or comment or other user submissions through the Piñata Services, visitors to and users of the Piñata Services will be able to see the content of your posts and comments, the username associated with your posts or comments, and the date and time You originally submitted the post or comment. Piñata has no control over how others will use the information You share through posts or other submissions.
- When You send messages to other users, the recipients of those messages will be able to see the content of your message, your username, and the date and time the message was sent. Please use caution when sharing information about yourself to other users and third parties. Piñata has no control over how others will use the information You share with them through messages.
- When other users view your profile, they may be able to see information about your activities on the Piñata Services, such as your username, prior posts and comments, etc.
Piñata will not share, sell, or give away any of our users’ personal information to third parties, unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- We may share information with vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work for us. These companies may have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, and they are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality of any personal information in which they come in contact as part of their services to Piñata.
- If You participate in promotions, special offers, or other events or activities in connection with the Piñata Services, we may share information with entities that partner with us to provide these offerings.
- We may share information in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, including, but not limited to meeting national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may share information in response to an emergency if we believe it is necessary to prevent imminent and serious bodily harm to a person.
- We may share aggregated or anonymized information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify You.
- We may share information between and among Piñata and its current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership.
- We may share information with your consent or at your direction.
- If you have opted in, or if a landlord (or other third party with authority) has opted you in, for reporting purposes, we may share consumer and other personal information, either directly or through one or more third parties, and such third parties may share consumer and other personal information, with consumer credit reporting agencies.
9. Sharing on Social Media
The Piñata Services may offer social sharing features or other integrated tools that let You share content or action You take using the Piñata Services with other media. Your use of these features enables the sharing of certain information with your friends, network, or the public, depending on the settings You establish with the third party that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the third parties that provide these social sharing features.
10. Online Purchases and Transactions
When You place an order online, your personal details and credit card information are encrypted using SSL encryption technology before being sent over the Internet. Although we cannot guarantee encryption or the privacy of your personal details, SSL makes it very difficult for your information to be stolen or intercepted while being transferred. All information sent to our credit card payment processors is in the secure SSL environment, which will protect it against disclosure to third parties.
11. Accounts Payable and Collections
It is your duty to make sure that You keep your account(s) in good standing with us. If You have an outstanding balance, or if You dispute a payment to us with your credit card or financial institution for any reason, please note that all information collected from your activity on our website may be disclosed to the bank and/or collections agency we work with for the purposes of establishing proof of users’ identity, proof of use, proof that service was provided, and/or collecting any outstanding debt owed to us.
12. Protection and Storage of Personal Information
Your personal information is protected by physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in compliance with applicable U.S. federal and state regulations. We also use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption. For example, as noted above, we and our credit card processor service providers use SSL encryption to safeguard your credit card data when used in online transactions. In addition, we enforce physical access controls to our offices and files, and we do not authorize access to users’ personal information except for those personnel who require such access to fulfill their job responsibilities. Despite our efforts to ensure security, we cannot guarantee that personal information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of our administrative, managerial, and technical safeguards. Therefore, we urge You to take adequate precautions to protect your personal data as well, including never sharing the username and password used in connection with your participation in the Piñata Services. If we learn of a system security breach, we may attempt to notify You electronically. By using the Piñata Services, You agree that we may communicate with You electronically. Piñata may post a notice on its website(s), mobile application(s), and/or other services if a security breach occurs. We may also send an email to You at the email address You have provided to us. Depending on where You live, You may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice of a security breach) You should notify us of your request by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Updating Account Information
Piñata allows You to change your personal information your provided for your account at any time. To do so, simply log on to the appropriate Piñata Service with your username and password and update the information You submitted.
14. Opt-out Choices, Notifications, and Retention of Information
Piñata provides You with the opportunity to opt out of receiving certain types of communications. If You no longer want to receive notifications, change your preferences on your account settings or communicate your preferences to us via email. You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us by following the instructions in those communications. If You do opt out, we may still send You non-promotional communications, such as information about your account or your use of the Piñata Services.
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
16. Contact Us
To communicate with our personnel responsible for data protection and compliance, please email email@example.com